Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Adding Color to the Family Room with Pillows

When I blog about one of the rooms in my home and look at the room through photos, I tend to see things that I don't otherwise see just walking through the room.  
  So when I rearranged all of the furniture in my family room a few weeks ago, I realized that the brown chair by the fireplace could use a little color.  I wanted to bring in some of the green accent color.  I went to Calico Corners, where they were having a 25% off fabric sale, and found this fabric.
I liked it because it brought in the green I wanted as well as picked up on the wall color.
I bought 1 1/2 yards of fabric to make two 20" square pillows.  Since the fabric has such a large pattern I had to order the extra 1/2 yard to make sure I could center the pattern.   I used the existing pillows and just covered them with a new pillow cover.
I cut two 20"x20" squares out of the fabric.  I centered the pattern on one, and let the back side fall wherever to give me options as to which side I wanted to display.  I placed the two squares, right sides together.  After sewing three sides together I clipped the corners and turned it back to the right side. 
 I hand sewed the open seam together.  
This is upholstery weight fabric so it hides the stitches wonderfully.
Here's the chair with a little color added to it.

After being so careful to center the pattern, I think I may like it better on the reverse side.
Here is the reverse side.
Here is what was left of the fabric after the two pillows were made.
Be sure to stop back tomorrow to see what I did with the leftover fabric.

I can't wait to hear what you think of my new pillows. 
-Judy

Pin It

9 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love the pillows, Judy! That fabric works great in this room. I like both sides, too. You could do one facing out each way. That scrap might make for a great bolster or table runner. Can't wait to see what you did with it! Sounds like you got your monies worth out of that yardage.

Maria Elena said...

Judy, your pillows are fabulous! I love the way something as simple as a little fabric can make such a big change in a room. Your family room loos just gorgeous! I love your new furniture arrangement!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Pretty fabric, love the new pillows Judy!! I envy all of you that know how to sew!

Debbiedoos said...

Always amazing what a dash of color and pattern could bring.

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I love how pillows can change how a space feels and looks:)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your new pillow, such pretty fabric and they look wonderful in your room. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your new header too. Hugs, Marty

Cindy The Victorian Journey said...

Hey Judy, the pillows look great.. Cindy

Gina said...

The pillows are great! A super way to add color!

Cynthia said...

Love the fabric on the new pillows, looks great.

Cynthia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...