Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

DIY Candle Holders

This is one of those projects that came together with things I already had in the house.
Those are the best kind of projects.  Especially right after Christmas, I am trying to use what I have on hand first before going and buying anything new.  

As I mentioned yesterday, my husband bought me three flameless candles for Christmas.  I am in love with these candles...they look so real, even in person.

When I opened them Christmas morning and saw the container they came in, I knew I wanted to make something out of it.  I wasn't sure exactly what in the moment, but it came to me yesterday.

They would make awesome candle holders.  

I had bought this music note wrapping paper from Home Goods before Christmas, but never used it.  It's a nice weight and would be perfect to cover the tubes the flameless candles came in.
I was going to use mod podge, but decided to just use a glue stick.  
I cut the wrapping paper to size (I was able to get all three covered with just one width of the paper) and then glued the wrapping paper all around. 

Then I used leftover ties that were used to ship the area rug in my daughter's room (yep, I kept those thinking they might look cool on a project someday).  I used my hot glue gun to adhere the ties.  

I wanted something to cover the seam where the ties met.  I decided to make clay tags .  You can check out a full tutorial on how to make these clay tags here.  I used a heart shape cookie cutter and stamped the words on the clay before I baked it.  After I baked it I painted the stamped letters using craft paint.  
Then I used my hot glue gun again to adhere the clay tags.  
I added them to my vignette on my coffee table in my "new" family room.  
One more finishing touch - I tied some left over wire ribbon (one with music notes on it too) to the glass vase with flowers on the table.  

When my husband saw what I had made with the containers the candles came in, he said, "I saw them as boxes to be thrown away, somehow you see home decor."  I think that sums me up perfectly.  

What do you think?  Do you love them as much as I do?  I best part is that they were free!  

Have a great weekend!

-Judy
Pin It

11 comments:

Audrey said...

I love it! They are beautiful and you're so creative. I would have never thought to use those as candle holders but they look great as such. We must be on the same wave length, please stop by and check out the candle holder I made yesterday, I posted a tutorial on how to make them. :) Thanks and have a great day! http://neverendingdecorating.blogspot.com/2013/01/tissue-paper-covered-candle-holder.html

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I can see we are of the same mindset, Judy ~ using what we have on hand before buying new. : ) These turned out great. I would have kept them, too, and figured out something to do with them, but this worked out perfectly. My husband now asks me if I can "do something with this" before he throws something out!

Stephanie said...

Love, love, love it! Very cute and creative :)

Happy Weekend!

Hugs,
Stephanie

Donna~One Simple Country Girl said...

Those are awesome! Love how they look on your coffee table.

elizabeth said...

Frugal and lovely!

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

Way to recyle! Great project.

Laura @ duke manor farm said...

How sweet is this idea!

Unknown said...

Oh goodness, Judy! These are so adorable. I had to pin it...Love them!!

Gina said...

These are so pretty, Judy! You are so darn clever!

Kara @ Petals to Picots Crochet said...

I love how these came out! The wrapping paper is gorgeous!

Jo said...

So elegant. Love the concept, love the paper, love the details. Jo @ Let's Face the Music

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...