Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Easy Desk Update

This weekend I did a simple update to my daughter's desk in her room.
If you remember, this desk was originally a Craigslist find for $30.
After painting this desk with chalk paint and reupholstering the chair, I added a piece of clear acrylic to the top.  It was one of the smartest things I did, no longer having to worry about the top of the desk being damaged.  It also gave me an opportunity to add a pop of color by using scrapbook paper underneath the clear acrylic top.
The scrapbook paper was colorful, but it was never exactly right.  
I was always on the lookout for something a little bit better.
When I saw this wrapping paper at Home Goods a few weeks ago, I thought it would be perfect for my daughter's room.  I have been very impressed with the wrapping paper I have bought in Home Goods.  It is all very substantial and great for so many different projects.

I took the clear acrylic off the desk and used it as a guide to cut the wrapping paper to size.
It changed the look immediately.
Then I thought I would get really crafty and cut out pieces of wrapping paper to fit the fronts of each of the drawers.  I glued it to card stock so that it wouldn't curl or bend. 
What a difference a little wrapping paper can make!
For the side drawers the card stock is so sturdy that it didn't need to be 
adhered in any other way other than being held on with the handles.  
For the center drawer I added a little mod podge to the edges to keep it all in place.
The color is beautiful and picks up on all of the decor and accessories in my daughter's room.
You could do this with any desk you have.  The clear acrylic was bought at Home Depot and we cut it to size at home.  It was inexpensive as well.  You could add fabric or paper to match any decor.  
My daughter loves the update!
I can't wait to hear what you think.

-Judy
Pin It


Sharing with Saavy Southern Style

22 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

That looks so pretty Judy!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Perfect. I love the paper, such a great pattern and it really looks so elegant and fun at the same time. Great job. Hugs, Marty

Much Ado About Somethin said...

Beautiful!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Gorgeous and what a difference it makes, Judy! The color and pattern suit that desk wonderfully.

Angie at Postcards from the Ridge said...

That looks great. I have the exact same desk painted white in my daughter's room. I think I might just have to update hers now. Thanks for the inspiration! ~ Angie

Audrey said...

Gorgeous!!! That is stunning, I love it. Pinned it too. I'd love to do that exact same technique on my childhood dresser for our 2nd guest room...it would look perfect. Thanks for sharing such inspiration!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

It's just adorable, Judy! That is such a cute idea and easy way to add a special touch of color.

Karie said...

Absolutely adorable. Love the cute accent of color, and to think it is wrapping paper. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Karie

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

Your daughter's desk looks great! You'll love the acrylic top. I have one on a wrapping station with family pics and treasures underneath. Such a functional and versatile idea!

sheerserendipity said...

The desk looks sturnning! Great idea to add wallpaper.

Cynthia said...

This desk and chair just beautiful. I love the colors soft but adds a punch.

Cynthia

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Just beautiful...I love the panels that you added to the drawers...such a pretty pattern...Fantastic job!!

Anonymous said...

The desk and chair are gorgeous! What a great idea.

Linda said...

Beautiful. You certainly have a better stocked Home Goods than those around me.

Denise Marie said...

Very sweet

mariondee-designs said...

I think it looks lovely! Maryann

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

It's so pretty! I think I'll have to use this idea myself. Great little blog you have here, by the way.

Unknown said...

So beautiful. Can't wait to try something like this on a desk we have at home. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Love your creative idea with the wrapping paper!- it's featured on my Saturday favorites! Claire

Lisa~A Cottage To Me said...

So pretty! It's amazing what you can do with wrapping paper! Love the chair seat material too!

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

This is gorgeous! I love using paper on furniture and this is a wonderful example of how much of a difference it can make! Love how the paper goes so well with the chair fabric - such a pretty blue too! I just found your blog through Kim's linky party and am now following. Looking forward to exploring your blog and more lovely posts! Hugs, Leena

Unknown said...

Hi! How did you fix the acrylic and the wrapping paper to the base of the desk? Thank you, it's beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...