Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Making Room and the Switch

We have some major issues going on in our finished basement right now, which I will get into more detail about in the next few weeks.  As part of this issue, we needed to find space to fit a commercial grade dehumidifier.  The best spot for it would be in an unfinished closet we have in the basement that currently housed a super large filing cabinet for my business files (I am an attorney).  
Here's the thing...this file cabinet weighs a ton.  We spent a few days over the Christmas break going through the files and clearing out all of the super old files.  Then we moved the other files to long term filing boxes.  We figured we would throw out the file cabinet, although we had no idea how we were going to get it up the stairs.
Then my husband came up with the idea to move the filing cabinet into our storage room in the basement.  As you can see the storage room was in need of some purging anyhow, so this would be a perfect opportunity.  We would take the long dresser you see in here and move it into the closet where the file cabinet was, which would still leave room for the new dehumidifier.
We put the file cabinet on the furniture moving slides and slid it out of the closet and across the room and into the storage closet.  
It's unfinished space, but I figured I would make it look a bit better and painted the walls with left over paint from the ceiling in my office, in Restoration Hardware Silver Sage.  
Then using the same flooring that we used in the closet we recently finished,
we laid a new vinyl wood floor.
The new floor went down in no time.
Then we added the dresser.  I am very excited to get this space set up as an area where I can keep all of my craft and sewing supplies.
We plan on building a shelf above this dresser for the humidifier to sit on.  I'll know better in the next week or so how much space (if any) above the dresser will be available to me to use (because, trust me, I have so many ideas spinning in my head as to how I want to use the space).
image
Maybe something like this...
image
or something like this (I love the storage they added to the inside of the door)...
image
or something like this.
No matter what, I look forward to really organizing all of my craft/sewing supplies.

One final photo - we cleaned up the storage cabinet as well in the process and found an even better home for this super large file cabinet.

Don't forget to stop back tonight for my Winter Blues Wednesday party.


The party opens at 8pm EST.  Hope to see you then.

-Judy

Pin It

4 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Hopefully you will have enough room to add some storage/organization above the dresser, Judy. The peg board or shelves would look great and keep those things you use the most right at hand. I'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out for you.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Great idea...and cannot wait to see what you come up with for the closet/work area!!...

Audrey said...

Ooooo, I love the little pale blue closet, wish I had one! I can't wait to see what you put together. See you tomorrow and have a great day!

Cynthia said...

Great idea, I love the use of the space. Can't wait to see it finished.

Cynthia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...