Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

No-Cost Decorating

On New Year's Day we took down all of our Christmas decor and put it all away.  Over the holidays we started tossing around the idea of rearranging the furniture in our family room after the tree was put away.  It was also a good chance to really clean the room from top to bottom, since we were moving nearly every piece of furniture. 
Here's a look at our family room with all of the changes.  
Here is our family room as it was set up for the holidays.
Before we started moving any real furniture, we moved it all on a piece of graph paper with the floor plan drawn out with cut outs of all of the existing furniture we have in the room.  It's something I have for each of the rooms in my home.  Makes trying out different furniture arrangements much easier on our backs.  The before photo above is our family room right after the tree was put away which is why the far left hand corner is empty.  One of the issues with the old floor plan was that having the sofa in the middle of the room cut the room in half.  It also left only a small amount of space to actually enter the room.  The sofa also seemed to block any focus on the fireplace mantel.  
Here is another view of the room.  
I actually did like the game table on an angle in the before photo, however it was rarely used since it was hidden behind the sofa.  I'm hoping it will be used more now that it's more accessible.
It's funny...we have lived here more than thirteen years and we have used the sliding glass door in this room maybe once or twice.  I've decided that since the door is never used, I'm going to treat it more like a giant window that furniture can go in front of.  
The lamp is from my home office.  It's a Pottery Barn lamp and lamp shade.  It was next to my copy machine in my office and it tended to get in the way each time I needed to make a copy. 
 The lamp works really well with the decor in this room - maybe even better than it did in my office.
The room is very open with this furniture arrangement and it actually feels so much bigger now. You can still see the television perfectly from the sofa, even though it is no longer directly in front of the television.  In fact, you can now see the television from all of the seating in the room.  Plus, we actually get to use the ottomans that came with the chairs.  In the previous arrangement there was never any room for those and they had to be separated from their respective chairs.
 While I was at it, I created a simple vignette for my mantel.  The candles are my favorite and were one of my gifts from my husband for Christmas this year.
They are battery operated and look so real, even in person.
Here is a view of the room from the fireplace.  To the left of the sofa I brought up a table from the basement that works well for now.  I also completely changed up what is on the coffee table, adding flowers, books and potpourri to a wicket basket also from Pottery Barn.
By rearranging our furniture and using a couple of items from other rooms, I have given our family room a completely different look - all for FREE.  You gotta love no cost decorating!

I can't wait to hear what you think of my new, more open family room.

-Judy
Pin It

20 comments:

Linda said...

I love how your room looks now!!
It's funny how empty at first it looks once the tree comes down.
I love that leather chair. I'm on the lookout this year for a leather chair and a new sofa.
Thanks Judy for sharing!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love how it looks with the sofa in its new spot, Judy! It really does open up the room more. It looks like a really warm and inviting space.

Much Ado About Somethin said...

I really like what you did - so cozy!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

It is so pretty. I really like the open plan, it seems to be more inviting. Great changes and the new accessories are wonderful too. Hugs, Marty

The Tuscan Home said...

Love. Love. Love. Great job Judy, your room looks amazing! xo ~Liz

Erin said...

Wow what a great room! I think it looks amazing. I wish I lived there ;-)

Barb said...

It looks totally awesome!

Shannon Fox said...

Oh, I like it! It really opened it up, the flow looks improved too. I adore the chairs flanking the fireplace. Good placement girl :)

Happy New Year!!

Jan said...

Visiting from Shabby Creek Cottage. I have been thinking about flanking my (smaller) fireplace with chairs, and your rearrangement has convinced me to give it a try. Your room radiates warmth and comfort. Great job using what you had to make it all new again!

AntiqueChase said...

Much better and it didn't cost $... = perfection!

Anonymous said...

I love the new look. What an improve just moving things can be. My Mom moves the family room furniture almost every time she cleans, so that room never looks the same. I don't blame you for putting furniture in front of the door. We have done that with French doors between our living and family rooms. Only our dogs use those, so we decided that space shouldn't be wasted.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and enjoying my wreath. Have a great 2013.

Eden House News and views said...

It looks fabulous we have a room change when tree comes down .

Audrey said...

I love the new layout! I wish I could come up with a new one for my weirdly shaped living room.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

It looks great Judy! I like the new furniture placement. It's always fun to switch things up!

Gina said...

It really looks beautiful, Judy. It's amazing how just moving things around can give you such a completely different look. The room looks very cozy!

Thoughts for the day said...

So peaceful and inviting I love the warm woods and the gentle look, so many homes now adays are too starchy looking, this is a comfortable look and pretty.

storybeader said...

that was a great idea to put the chair in front of the doors. Even though I love my sliding glass door to our outside porch, the view from the chair would probably be my favorite place to sit! {:-Deb

Pondside said...

Oh yes, I love no-cost and low-cost decorating too!
We have been toying with a big change-around in our living room, and tomorrow when the tree comes down I think we'll give it a try.

Jenny said...

What a grand place to relax and unwind.

Your furniture and wall color are just lovely.

And I like the idea of graph paper. I just usually wear out my back!

I'm thinking I need some tips from you. We're just getting ready to move and I can never get furniture to fit right in the rooms!

Thanks for letting us see your changes. You are quite talented at creating gorgeous spaces.

A+

Unknown said...

I really need to try this at home. That is so simple yet trendy and useful
Wall Coverings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...