Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

DIY Christmas Stocking Tutorial - A JoAnn Celebrate the Season Project

I have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of the JoAnn Craft Store celebrate the season challenge.  
As soon as I was asked months ago to participate, I knew exactly what I wanted to create for the Christmas season...new DIY Christmas stockings.  
This project is so much easier than you would think.  
If you can sew a straight line, you can make these stockings.  
First things first, I gathered my supplies.  I went to JoAnn Fabric and Craft store and picked out this beautiful plaid fabric and a coordinating cream fabric.  I also picked out beautiful trim to match.  Joann's has some of the most beautiful fabric and trims to choose from.  To line the stockings I decided to use a flat sheet I had purchased at Walmart some time ago but had never used.  Flat sheets are a great way to line projects, including drapes.  I created a pattern on large paper (which was used to wrap my dishes I bought for Thanksgiving from Bed Bath and Beyond).  I used my old Pottery Barn stockings as a guide and traced around it onto my paper.  The stocking pattern measured 9" across the top and 15" to the heel of the stocking.  I also made a pattern for the cuff which measured 10" x 16".
I cut two stockings from my fabric and two from my lining fabric and one from my coordinating fabric for the cuff.

Then I started layering...lining first, then plaid stocking face up, then plaid stocking face down and then lining fabric again.  Then I sewed around the stocking leaving the top open.
Next I cut a piece of coordinating ribbon and pinned it to the lining only of my stocking.
For the cuff, I folded my fabric lengthwise, right sides together and sewed a seam.  I then unfolded my fabric and folded it this time width wise (to form the 5" cuff).  Next I slipped the cuff over the stocking as shown above.  Be sure to keep the seam either on the side or as shown so that it does not end up on the front of the stocking.  Carefully pin the cuff at the top of the stocking to a layer of lining and stocking fabric all the way around.
I picked a pretty flat trim to add to the edges of my stocking cuff.  I love using this fabric glue...it grabs super fast and has always worked well for me.  I started in the back and glued the trim all the way around, ending it on the seam in the back.
It was that easy.  The first stocking took me about an hour, just because I was trying to make sure I liked the size, etc.  The next three took less than a half hour total to complete.
Finally, hang your stockings by the chimney with care...and hope that St. Nicholas soon will be there.

Can't wait to hear what you think of my #fabulouslyfestive stockings.

To check out more holiday craft ideas, you can go to Joann Celebrate the Season.

Also, be sure to stop back tomorrow.  I have a very special giveaway planned.
Hope to see you then.

-Judy

Pin It

Disclaimer:  I was given a gift card to JoAnn's to purchase my supplies, however, the opinions I have expressed are entirely my own.

Sharing with Savvy Southern Style

6 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

They look great, Judy! Love the fabric choice and the trim finishes them off beautifully.

Gina said...

Your stockings look so pretty! They really turned out great! I would love to make new stockings, but my kiddos are too attached to their old ones!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Love them Judy...Love your fabric choice too!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

These are so pretty Judy, I love them. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Mart

At The Picket Fence said...

I LOVE your stockings Judy! They look so beautiful and you always do the most professional looking work. Well done friend! :-)
Vanessa

Ann @ Corner of Plaid and Paisley said...

Your stockings came out cute! Nice job, if that is a green plaid they would look great on my mantel!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...