Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Rug #2 - Another Huge Miss

The hunt continues for a rug for my living room.  It's becoming an exhausting process.  Yesterday I shared with you the rug I brought home from Home Goods that didn't work.  Today the rug I have to share comes with a story.  I mentioned last week that had seen a "one of a kind" rug at one of my favorite furniture stores. 

 It was extremely pricey so I felt that I needed to see it in my home before I could commit to the rug.  I was told that there was another designer who had a client interested in the same rug.  I needed to make a decision or else they would show it to her.  I told them I couldn't make a decision and so they showed it to their other client. I was told last week that she loved it and bought it.  I was disappointed however I am a big believer that things happen for a reason and this rug was just not meant to be.  Of course, because I never got to see the rug in my home I started to view it as the the perfect rug and the "rug that got away".  As I continued my search I couldn't get this rug out of my head.  On Saturday I emailed the rug broker and asked if he could try to find me a similar rug.  An hour or so later he called me and told me the woman didn't have enough credit to buy the rug and so the rug was available again.  It was unbelievable that the rug I loved was suddenly available again.  A second chance.  I told the broker that I would be there within the hour to pick it up with the understanding that if I didn't like it is was fully returnable.    
When I got it home and laid it out the first thing I noticed is that the gray/green border was really a light blue/green border, which really doesn't work in this room.  The next thing I noticed, which really bothered me, were imperfections all over the rug.  

There were at least ten of these long wavy lines of what looked like missing yarn throughout the rug.  Definitely not acceptable for what I spent on the rug.  Once I saw these imperfections I started to really investigate the rug.  I was told the rug was 120 line.  It turns out the rug is only 80 line.  I was also told that the rug is "one of a kind".  

Funny...here is the rug on the manufacturer's website.  I guess since it is hand-knotted no two are exactly alike, but it's definitely not  "one-of-a-kind".  Once I realized it was not one of a kind I went even further and started to price this rug at several different rug stores.  Turns out the rug also retails for $1,500 less than what I paid for it.  
The rug is being picked up this morning by the store for a full refund.  I haven't even told them all of the information I now know about their "one of a kind rug".  All that they know is that I didn't like it and wasn't happy with the imperfections I saw.  Once I am sure that my money has been refunded I will decide if it's worth it to have a "conversation" with the store.  
  The best thing that happened is that I have completely gotten this rug out of my system now and can focus on finding a rug that will compliment the room.  If this hadn't happened I would have always thought of this rug as the one I let get away.

Don't forget to stop back tonight for my Winter Blues Wednesday party that opens at 8pm EST.
 Hope to see you there!
-Judy

Pin It
Sharing with Savvy Southern Style
Sharing with The Scoop
Sharing with A Stroll Thru Life

8 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Wow, sounds like this store is not very honest about their merchandise. I am sure you will find the perfect rug. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

This is the kind of thing that really gets me worked up. All the time and money you put into that decision and to have it undermined by unscrupulous vendors is just mind boggling. I hope your money is fully refunded without any problem. Jo @ Let's Face the Music

Wild Oak Designs said...

I hope you get all your money back...too bad stores like that lie...
I was a rug quest too a while back...they are hard to find. I actually found two...at IKEA....
I wanted a rug that "didn't matter" because they are in busy living areas with two large dogs....
But it is funny, when my hubby's dad passed away we got a wool rug...I love it and it vacuums so well....
good luck on your quest....
You might want to try online...such as Amazon...you can send them back if they don't work out...
Nancy
wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

Anita Diaz said...

Judy, that is unbelievable!! I have ordered very similar wool rugs from Overstock and the only issue I've ever had is the color not being exact, but the reviews always point that out. I love with passion persian, especially, wool and silk rugs and I know a fabulous dealer in Turkey if you are interested. http://www.yellowstarcarpet.com/

But, honestly, I have found great deals on wool at overstock and antique rugs from a couple different dealers on ebay and have not been disappointed in quality.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Yes, better that you had the chance to see it for yourself in your home, Judy, then to think it was the "one that got away". So disappointing that the quality was not good. You'll find the right one. It took me a few months to find the one I got for our living room.

Jan Hermann said...

Glad you didn't have to "commit" to the rug up front.

I don't know if you've ever heard of this "designer's trick" - one I used all of the time when shopping with clients or for them for a rug. All the rugs hang on hangers...they aren't down on the floor like they will be in person. That makes it hard to actually view the right colors, due to shading and nap. If you have someone (even a shopping cart will work) to hold the corner up at a 90° angle to the floor, you get the best perspective. Lay your fabric/paint swatches on the rug and step back a bit...suddenly the rug that you think is perfect, isn't...and the one you don't think will work...DOES!!

Good luck!

NanaDiana said...

Oh- How very, very, very disappointing. I looked for a family room rug for months and finally found one on a day I "wasn't looking". It was perfect from color to weft to price. I hope you have the same luck! xo Diana

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

That is so frustrating, but hopefully, it means you'll find something even better! And, maybe for a better price, too. Good luck!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...